Working a summer job at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, certainly has its perks. Where else can you take a gondola to your shift at America’s only mountain-top theme park? Or look up from your post operating an attraction and see jaw-dropping views of the Colorado Rockies? Employees also get the chance to take a turn on the Park’s thrill rides.
Yes, working at Glenwood Caverns is fun and exciting. But in addition to earning a paycheck, it’s the honing of life-long skills that, in the long run, delivers the biggest return for seasonal employees. While the Park’s mission is to make people smile, we also want our employees to smile, on the job and off; now, and long into the future.
- Condfidence. Earning a paycheck boosts self-esteem and provides a sense of accomplishment. In addition to banking some cash, you’ll meet and mingle with people from all walks of life. Being comfortable and at-ease around others doesn’t always come naturally. Like most things, it takes practice. Whether you’re bussing tables for the lunch crowd at the Lookout Grille or selling tickets at the Iron Mountain Tramway base, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to let your personality shine.
- Public Speaking. The ability to communicate ideas effectively is vital in business and in nearly every field of study. If you dream of becoming a business tycoon, a sales superstar or even acing that college interview, you can practice the art of oration by leading cave tours through Glenwood Caverns. It’s a challenging job that requires being prepared, giving detailed presentations, delivering a joke line and having poise when things don’t go as planned.
- Time management. Working for Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, you’ll quickly learn that you’ve got to build in some cushion to ride the tram and still get to your shift in the photography department on time. Mastering time management and being efficient on the job is really all about prioritizing, planning and deciding what you will accomplish in day.
- Problem solving. Count on your job at Glenwood Caverns as a proving ground for critical thinking and problem solving. Providing excellent guest service begins with actively listening to customers, often with the added opportunity of resolving a specific problem. At Glenwood Caverns and in virtually every workplace, each day on the job offers the chance to make a difference.
- Exploring interests. While you might start out working as a cashier in the gift shop or as an attractions operator, your job at Glenwood Caverns could pique an interest that you might not have previously considered. Your experience in retail could lead to a career in design or business; operating the tram or an attraction might encourage you to explore mechanics or engineering. You never know where your Glenwood Caverns Adventure will lead!
The bottom line is working at Glenwood Caverns is an opportunity to grow, learn and be part of an amazing team.