What’s the Best New Amusement Park Attraction in the US? It’s the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park! No kidding.
That’s right! Our stomach-flipping, hair-raising, 110-ft. drop ride that plunges riders into the dark depths of Iron Mountain was the top vote getter in the USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice Travel Awards.
The Haunted Mine Drop was nominated for the competition by a panel of travel, theme park and amusement industry writers and editors, including those of who contribute to USA Today. After that, the race was on and the public was encouraged to vote for their favorite new theme park ride, with voting open for a full four weeks. Throughout the duration of the contest, the leader board jockeyed between the top contenders, and during the final week, it went dark – leaving everyone breathless as to who would win.
At Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, we’re quite comfortable living life on the edge – the edge of a mountain and the edge of our thrill ride seats. But even our nerves were rattled because we knew it would be close. So when we found out earlier today the Haunted Mine Drop had won the top spot in USA Today 10Best awards, we couldn’t contain our elation and we just had to shout the news from our mountain-top (theme park) – We Won! We Won!
With our feet back on the ground, we must point out winning an award like this, especially considering the venerable competition we were up against, is an honor. We know first-hand how much planning, coordinating, faith and luck it takes to create, build and deliver a ride that gives guests a mind-blowing adrenaline rush experience. While the win is exhilarating, we are humbled to be in such distinguished company.
The top ten winners for Best New Amusement Park Attraction:
- Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park; Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Mystic Timbers at King’s Island; Mason, Ohio
- Hydrus at Casino Pier, Seaside Heights, New Jersey
- North Star at Valleyfair; Shakopee, Minnesota
- Drop Line at Dollywood; Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
- Mine Blower at Fun Spot America; Kissimmee, Florida
- Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster at Sea World San Antonio, Texas
- Rollin’ Thunder at The Park at OWA; Foley, Alabama
- Pandora – The World of Avatar at Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort; Bay Lake, Florida
- Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth at Six Flags America; Upper Marlboro, Maryland
To all of our guests who voted for the Haunted Mine Drop, we thank you. If you’ve haven’t ridden the Haunted Mine Drop, we invite you to drop if you dare in 2018.
Latest posts by Karin Gamba (see all)
- Glenwood Caverns to Host National Caves Association Convention - February 12, 2018
- Steve Beckley Shares Business Insights and Advice at GlenX Space - January 29, 2018
- Winning Ride: The Haunted Mine Drop - January 5, 2018
- Join in the Holiday Cheer with Extended Holiday Hours - December 13, 2017