What a Catch! All About Fishing in Glenwood Springs
Relaxing, meditative, challenging, and a “reel” good time—that’s the lure of fishing in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. With access to multiple rivers, including lengthy stretches of Gold Medal designated waters, the region is home to exceptional fishing opportunities.
Three Reasons to go fishing in Glenwood Springs
- Stress Relief. There is no better cure for “getting away from it all,” than floating downstream or casting from shore for rainbow, brown, cutthroat and brook trout that swim abundantly in the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, Colorado rivers. Fishing is a time-honored remedy for alleviating stress and anxiety. The fresh mountain air and soothing repetitive motions go a long way toward restoring a sense of peace.
- Outdoor Recreation. Your vacation to Glenwood Springs is the perfect opportunity to participate in some active R&R in Colorado’s great outdoors. People who enjoy angling appreciate the time the sport allows them to spend in nature. Nearby rivers travel through stunning geography including magnificent Glenwood Canyon and past majestic, snowcapped Mt. Sopris which dominates the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Excitement. The thrill of the hunt is part of the attraction. Fishing requires stealth, skill, patience and a good measure of luck. Few things are more gratifying than hooking that elusive lunker, but even if that big fish takes a pass, the real prize is a simple, perfect day spent fishing.
Liquid Gold: Best Fishing in Colorado
The region around Glenwood Springs is home to some of the best fly fishing in the state of Colorado, with many stretches of river labeled Gold Medal waters. These areas, designated by the Colorado Wildlife Commission, can produce at least 60 pounds of trout per acre, as well as a minimum of 14” or larger trout per acre. In other words, Gold Medal designated waters are great places to catch big fish whether you’re a beginner or an expert angler.
Top spots for Gold Medal fishing in the area include the Frying Pan River from the spillway at Ruedi Reservoir dam downstream to the confluence of the Roaring Fork River. Fly fishermen congregate in this area as much for the hefty reserves of trout as for the pastoral beauty of the landscape.
On the Roaring Fork River, the intersection of the Fry Pan River downstream to the confluence with the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs is also designated as Gold Medal. Aside from the excellent fishing, the Roaring Fork River boasts multiple places for easy public shore access. Though floating this section is optimal, the Rio Grande Trail which flanks the river gives fishermen plenty of opportunities for wading and shore fishing. Favorite fishing locations near town include Veltus Park, the Sunlight Bridge and the footbridge near Glenwood Springs High School.
Friendly Advice from the Experts
Glenwood Springs’ outfitters are a tremendous resource for anyone angling to learn more about the sport. Put simply, their experience enhances your experience. Guides live and breathe the outdoor lifestyle. They are out on the rivers daily; familiar with ever-changing conditions and know what insects the fish prefer to munch on in any given season. In addition to offering tips to improve your success, they can also provide all the necessary equipment which can be especially helpful for beginners just getting a feel for the sport.
Where to Purchase a Fishing License
Fishing in Colorado requires both a license and a Colorado Habitat Stamp. Fees vary based on residency, age and duration. Purchase them online at Colorado Parks & Wildlife (CPW)and through the state’s myColorado app. Locations in Glenwood Springs to buy the documents include Roaring Fork Anglers, Factory Outdoor, the local office of the CPW and Walmart.
Connect with Local Fishing Outfitters
Outfitters are your local guides to a great fishing experience while on vacation in Glenwood Springs. They offer a variety of trips, lessons, as well as sell gear and fishing licenses.
- Glenwood Springs Outdoors
- Harcourt Fly Fishing 3G
- Roaring Fork Anglers/Alpine Anglers
- Sopris Fishing Outfitters
- Taylor Creek Fly Shops
On your next vacation, catch a great time fishing in Glenwood Springs! Learn about more fun things to do in Glenwood Springs by visiting the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park website.
Start your family fun today!
See group discounts for your next reunion, company picnic and more!
There’s always something happening on the mountain! Visit Us.
Choose a thrill to suit your season.