Vacation time is precious and fleeting, make the most of every second with Glenwood Springs itineraries that zero in on a range of activities for families, outdoor enthusiasts, and artsy types.
The Kid Zone
With so many options for fun, Glenwood Springs is a kid-pleasing vacation destination. Topping the list of things to do is making waves in the hot springs, exciting but not-too-wild rides at the Adventure Park, and ice cream served in homemade waffle cones.
- The Sopris Splash Zone is a waterpark-like attraction at Glenwood Hot Springs Pool. Ride inner tubes down the fast-moving “whitewater river,” duck in and out of “waterfalls” and cool off beneath the splash pad water fountain.
- Kiddie rides, laser tag, a climbing wall and 4D theater are sure to elicit smiles from youngsters at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Children can also pan for treasure in a huge sluice box, visit Halvor the Mountain Troll and join sing-alongs with performers, the Harmony Sisters.
- Skip the mid-afternoon slump and keep the smiles coming with their favorite flavors. Sundae in Glenwood Springs makes small-batch artisan ice cream served in waffle cones. Top with sprinkles for a perfect finish to a fun-filled day in Glenwood Springs.
Action & Adventure
Rivers, mountains and a plethora of trails set the stage for outdoor pursuits of all kinds. Whether your preference is hiking, biking or flying, get moving in Glenwood Springs.
- Glenwood Canyon is a Nature’s playground—the place to go for stellar hikes, long bike rides and outstanding whitewater rafting. Purchase a permit ($12) to hike Hanging Lake. The trail is steep but short and worth the effort for views of the triple waterfalls and crystal-clear lake. To see the river up close, bike the 16-mile-long Glenwood Canyon Recreation Trail. For beat the heat fun on a summer day, go all-in with a guided rafting trip through the scenic canyon. Plan to get wet as you paddle multiple rapids on your way downriver.
- Adventure goes to extremes at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park where thrill rides and cave tours take visitors to new heights (and depths). Adrenaline junkies will be drawn to the Giant Canyon Swing, a pendulum ride that swings guests over the edge of Iron Mountain and the Adventure Park’s cave tours offer opportunities to see the curiosities of the landscape below ground.
- Red Mountain is a hot spot for outdoor recreation in Glenwood Springs. For mountain bikers, the reward after the long grind to the summit on the Jeanne Golay Trail is a rollicking ride down the singletrack Grandstaff Trail back to the base. The trails are also popular with hikers, especially along the Cross Trail which winds its way through the wooded slopes. The mountain’s summit is the launch point for tandem paragliding. Ride the summer thermals above Glenwood Springs before landing in an open field next to the Roaring Fork River.
- Bonus Tip: Rejuvenate adventure-weary bones in the mineral-rich geothermal waters at Iron Mountain Hot Springs.
The best vacation destinations and itineraries have a distinct sense of place. You don’t have to wander far to see that Glenwood Springs’ personality shine through in its indoor and outdoor art spaces, restaurants and shows.
- Galleries & Art. The work of talented artists and craftsmen is on display everywhere you turn in Glenwood Springs. See it in the historic architecture of Hotel Colorado, the historic train depot and buildings throughout downtown. Stroll through boutiques and galleries to admire or purchase pieces to take home including wall art, jewelry, pottery and woodwork. For a colorful photo opp, look for outdoor artwork like the oversized angel and butterfly wings installations tucked around downtown.
- Food & Drink. Glenwood Springs is a foodie’s paradise. Restaurants are strewn throughout town, but Seventh Street is colloquially referred to as “restaurant row.” There you’ll find a dense collection of eateries offering a wide variety of culinary options to satisfy any appetite. Also of note is Glenwood’s growing number of establishments featuring craft beer and distilled spirits.
- Performances & Events. The beat goes on in Glenwood Springs, where weekly musical performances are making a comeback after the pandemic. Two venues with informal regular shows include Hotel Colorado and Bethel Plaza. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is also hosting Music on the Mountain shows in August and September. For side-splitting laughs, the Glenwood Vaudeville Revue is the local Comedy Central.