Take kids on a field trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park where they can learn about and experience concepts in science including physics, geology and microbiology—all while having a great time at America’s only mountain-top theme park.
For parents and kids, the start of the 2020 fall school year is unlike other back-to-school seasons. Most kids are attending classes through online learning in zoom classrooms; some are opting for a home school arrangement. Why not add a fun component to the educational mix with an outing that helps your child learn abstract concepts through engaging hands-on experiences. A family field trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park can expose kids to a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines including physical, earth and life sciences.
Benefits of a Field Trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
Give kids an assist. While it’s necessary to learn through reading, memorization and worksheets, those lessons come alive when kids see practical applications in real time. For instance, learning about cave preservation could spark deeper inquiry in the fields of geology, ecology and other earth sciences.
Think big. Even if your child is not ready for in-depth lessons about G-forces in physics, by giving her the opportunity to experience their push and pull, you’ve broadened her horizons, providing valuable background knowledge for future learning.
Shake up the routine. There’s only so much time kids (and parents) can stare at a computer screen before everyone needs a break. A field trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park gives all members of the family something fun (and educational) to look forward to!
Science Class at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
Physics at Play
- Take a seat on Glenwood Caverns’ thrill rides such as the Soaring Eagle Zip Ride and Alpine Coaster to experience scientific principles of potential energy, kinetic energy and inertia. Talk to kids about how Newton’s Three Laws of Motion apply in each case.
- The Glenwood Canyon Flyer is a carousel-style spin ride that relies on centripetal forces for high flying fun, while the Giant Canyon Swing is a pendulum ride that careens riders out over Glenwood Canyon. Its strong G-forces, both positive and negative, are part of the stomach-flipping thrill!
- The Cliffhanger Roller Coaster is another exhilarating choice to experience physical forces at work. As the ride creeps up the hill increasing its potential energy, it gradually gathers momentum on the downhill portion as gravity kicks in, then at top speed careens around curves with g-forces pushing you to one side then the other. Now that’s a lesson they won’t forget anytime soon!
Unearthing Earth Sciences
- Make the most of your Glenwood Caverns experience with a field trip below ground. Two cave tours—King’s Row and Historic Fairy Caves—reveal a hidden world waiting to be discovered by the next generation of scientists and explorers. Let our tour guides do the teaching for a change. Their informative and entertaining style resonates with kids of all ages. Students will learn how the caverns were originally discovered by curious spelunkers, how the fragile cave environment is carefully preserved and maintained, and they’ll see the stunning geological effects of water, mineral deposition and time.
Life Science Lessons
- Caves are home to many forms of life that do not exist elsewhere. During your cave tour, be sure to ask your guide about the discovery of several previously unknown life forms. In 2000, a biologist discovered two new species, a pseudoscorpian which was featured in National Geographic, as well as a new species of troglobite. Troglobites are cave-inhabiting creatures. They include springtails (a type of insect), mites, millipedes, centipedes, spiders and beetles. Also in 2000, a former cave tour guide discovered seven brand-new species of bacteria in the pools located in the lower part of the cave. On your field trip, encourage kids to ask questions; in time, their scientific curiosity may lead to discoveries and innovations we can only dream of today.
Experiential learning is thrilling and science is hard at work at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. This school year, take the classroom outdoors with a field trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Learn more and purchase tickets to visit today!