Even as we all adjust to a new normal that includes face coverings and social distancing, you can continue to enjoy many of the activities you’ve always loved to do in Glenwood Springs. In addition to rides, attractions and cave tours at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, there’s rafting, biking, fishing, comedy shows, outdoor dining, hot springs and much more!Continue reading
For knock-your-socks off vistas, there’s no place in town like the Viewing Deck at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.Continue reading
As visitors return to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park for the mountaintop fun they’ve missed over the past few months, they’ll find there’s a lot to take in including a newly-completed arrival building at the base, as well as enhanced safety procedures for operating in a COVID-19 environment.Continue reading
Feeling cooped up these days? Spending time in nature, while still respecting social distancing and other health recommendations, could be just what the doctor ordered.
We miss seeing your smiling faces at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. As a Colorado theme park situated on top of a mountain, being outside enjoying thrills rides and family attractions, as well as exploring the natural beauty of the caverns is part of the Adventure Park experience. Until we re-open in the weeks ahead, we encourage you to spend some time outdoors every day. Nature can be a potent source of renewal and regeneration for all of us, especially now.
Since mid-March, to tamp down the spread of the novel coronavirus, many of us have been working from home, socializing online, homeschooling our kids, limiting trips to the grocery store, wrangling for toilet paper, binge-watching TV and getting the hang of wearing face masks in public. It has been a long few weeks and there’s still more to go. At this point in the quarantine, who among us isn’t going a little stir crazy?
Here’s a suggestion: Get outside. Spending time in nature has all sorts of documented benefits. According to MentalFloss, it can boost your energy, creativity and immune system. A dose of sunlight can help mitigate pain, reduce anxiety, help with seasonal affective disorder and even restore your focus. And those are the perks in a pre-pandemic world!
Getting out in nature now can be even more effective in boosting our health and our moods. In the viral health crisis we find ourselves in today, spending time outdoors has a stockpile of advantages:
- Nature takes our minds off scary headlines. Turn down the noise of the world by stepping out your front door. If you look for natural beauty every time you go outside, you’ll be sure to find it. Fresh blooms are popping up everywhere, warm sunshine on bare skin feels like a hug from an old friend, and spring rain brings with it rainbows and the promise of better days ahead.
- Nature allows us to interact with other humans from a safe distance. While the wearing of masks is recommended in confined indoor settings, as long as we keep the 6-foot recommended distance from one another we can lower our nose and mouth protection when we’re outside. After so much self-isolation, smiling and waving to other people has never felt more therapeutic!
- Nature is a big playground. Along with school closures, many city parks and playgrounds are off-limits for the time being. To keep kids from going bonkers, turn them loose for fresh air and to burn off steam. Simple things to do include riding bikes around the neighborhood, taking the dog for a walk, flying a kite or spending the afternoon fishing.
- Nature encourages relaxation. Study after study has shown that green spaces boost our mood, reduce anxiety and generally make us feel better. Why not use this quarantine to take a solitary nap in a hammock, sketch or paint a landscape, read a book al fresco or dip your feet in the creek. Doing so won’t solve all your problems, but you will likely feel better and more at ease.
- Nature is all around and accessible. Spending time in nature is not complicated even in these complicated times. It’s is as easy as opening your front door, walking barefoot on your own lawn, picking weeds in the garden, going for an early morning walk or an after-work-at-home run.
However you decide to spend time in nature, follow national, state and local health guidelines especially social distancing even when outside and remember to wash your hands thoroughly when you return home.
We at Glenwood Caverns look forward to seeing you back again soon for a mountain-full of fun and adventure. For updates on our re-opening and other news follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram today.
Many people don’t realize they can celebrate their special occasions at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The mountain-top venue is perfect for events of all kinds including weddings, retreats and family reunions.
Called “special occasions” for a reason, they range from once-in-a-lifetime celebrations like a wedding ceremony to annual gatherings such as company parties and corporate retreats. Whatever the cause for getting together, location sets the tone for your event. For a fun, interactive location that’s casual, vibrant and 100 percent Colorado, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is the place to celebrate your next big event.
Weddings. Getting married at a theme park might not be the first place that comes to mind as the location for your nuptials, but it’s one you should consider especially if a fun atmosphere, a unique setting and memorable details are important to you. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park has all three. To exchange vows, the Viewing Deck and Lookout Grille both offer breath-taking views with a stunning backdrop of the Roaring Fork Valley and Mt. Sopris. For smaller weddings, couples can also tie the knot inside the caves. The mountain-top restaurant provides catered dining options and a full bar—everything you need for a great party. When it comes to capturing the moment for eternity, there’s no shortage of amazing backdrops for extraordinary, unique wedding photos. Take pictures all around the beautifully landscaped park, amid cave formations on King’s Row or even on rides like the Canyon Flyer or Giant Canyon Swing!
Learn more about wedding venues and reception packages at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
Retreats & Company Parties. Get the job done and have fun at the same time. Encourage every member of your team to bring their A-game with a company retreat or party at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Getting away from the ordinary day-to-day interactions allows people to interact differently with each other. A theme park retreat can be an effective way to encourage team building among employees. Chances are they’ll see a whole new side of their workmates. Annual company parties at the Park, whether at the holidays or other time of year, also offer a unique way to thank and recognize employees for a job well done.
Learn more about Glenwood Caverns’ business packages and all the options available for corporate gatherings.
Reunions. Celebrate multiple generations of family at a venue that has something for every member—from school-aged youngsters and hard-to-please teens to senior citizens. Get together for a delicious, casual meal at the Lookout Grille and spend the day exploring the Park. You’ll make memories to cherish for a lifetime. The Park’s family attractions are fun for all, thrill rides are a screaming good time and cave tours can accommodate the whole group for an experience that’s entertaining and educational for one and all. As a memento, we can even snap professional souvenir photos of your group for you.
Learn more about Friends & Family packages available at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
An unforgettable venue for your next big event, celebrate the occasion at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
Add some big thrills to your romance with a visit to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. The mountain-top theme park in Glenwood Springs is the perfect place for heart-warming and heart-pounding fun.
Give your romantic relationship a love booster shot. A spur-of-the-moment, micro-getaway that includes Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park could be just the remedy for the mid-winter amour doldrums. The Adventure Park checks all the boxes for a romantic good time and a great date.
- Snuggle on the Glenwood Gondola. The orange gondola cars will whisk you and your partner high above the humdrum of the ordinary. Get cozy under blankets that are provided in each cabin as you travel from the valley floor to the park entrance at the top of Iron Mountain. Consider it the grown up version of seven minutes in heaven!
- Face fears together on the Haunted Mine Drop. There’s nothing that can bring a twosome together faster than a good, old-fashioned scare. The Haunted Mine Drop will have your hearts pounding in exhilaration as you drop 110 feet into the darkness below ground.
- Plumb the depths. Explore new territory together. Cave tours offer couples a glimpse of a rare and magnificent underground landscape. See spectacular stalactites, stalagmites, showy aragonite crystals and more. The caverns have also been the site of more than a few marriage proposals and wedding ceremonies!
- Feel the need for speed on the Alpine Coaster. Sometimes you’ve just got to go a little wild. Let the throttle out on the Alpine Coaster. You determine your speed as you soar down the mountain. The cool mountain air and fast pace are guaranteed to awaken the senses.
- Be silly in the 4-D Theater. Love isn’t rational. You don’t need to be ten years old to enjoy these 15 minute animated shows. Grab a seat at this family-friendly attraction, put on your glasses and enjoy the surround sound, bumps and breezes of 4-D technology. By the end, no matter your age, you’ll feel like kids again.
- Unwind with libations. For a more mature pastime, head to the Lookout Grille for an adult beverage and some sustenance. The bar serves a selection of decadent cocktails, beer in bottles and on tap. Wine and a Bloody Mary bar are other options. You can also satisfy your partner’s appetite at the Lookout Grille. The restaurant has an extensive menu of delicious casual dining menu choices.
- Take in the views. To paraphrase Antoine de St. Exupéry, it not all about looking at each other; it’s looking in the same direction that matters. On your visit to the Adventure Park be sure to walk up to the Viewing Deck above the General Store for landscape views of the Roaring Fork Valley and Glenwood Springs. This is also the perfect spot for a romantic couple’s photo.
- Attend an intimate concert. Add a little night music to the mix with Friday Afternoon Club FAC features talented local bands and food and drink specials every Friday through February from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The Park’s FAC also includes a free gondola ride after 4 p.m. with a coupon that appears in the Glenwood Springs Post Independent on Fridays. The small indoor venue is relaxed and laid back—perfect for a date night.
Love is a big, bold adventure. Add some thrills to your romance at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park!
- A 2 night stay at the historic Hotel Colorado
- 4 Funday passes to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
- 4 day passes to soak at Iron Mountain Hot Springs
- 4 show tickets to the Glenwood Vaudeville Revue
- 4 vouchers to the Glenwood Escape Room
- Fifty-dollar gift card to Glenwood Canyon Brewpub
The Best of Glenwood Springs
The Hotel Colorado is a Glenwood Springs landmark. It has hosted such notable guests as President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt and Titanic survivor “Unsinkable” Molly Brown. It is famous for its holiday lighting display, fine dining and as a favorite location for weddings and other special events.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is an award-winning, family-owned theme park. It is home to spectacular caves and holds the record for the second largest cave room in Colorado. The mountain-top theme park is also known for its thrill rides. The Haunted Mine Drop and the Giant Canyon Swing, two extreme rides, have attracted world-wide attention from media outlets and thrill seekers.
Located on a terraced bank along the Colorado River, Iron Mountain Hot Springs allows guests to customize their soaking experience. Sixteen individual soaking pools—varying in size, shape and temperature—enable guests to find the one that’s “just right.” Other amenities include a larger, freshwater family pool, a restaurant, modern locker rooms and a gift shop.
For evening entertainment, the Glenwood Vaudeville Revue, Glenwood’s own Comedy Central is the place to go for laughs. The talented cast of professional performers keeps audiences in stitches with family-friendly skits, jokes, high energy dance numbers and more. The venue also hosts special events, bringing in bands, comedians and musicals.
For guests who like a challenge, the Glenwood Escape Room will put sleuthing skills to the test. The question is: Are you clever enough to get out in time? Choose from three scenarios and use clues to solve the mystery. Guests have 60 minutes and must work as a team to unlock the door and escape!
The Glenwood Canyon Brewpub brings flavorful and memorable food to your table. With a variety of delicious American pub dishes for everyone and award winning brews.
Enter to Win Today!
For the chance to win the Glenwood Family Getaway, fill out the entry form. The contest begins February 3, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on February 29, 2020. The winning family will be electronically drawn at random and announced March 2, 2020. Winners’ travel must occur between March 31, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Blackout dates apply.
The Fine Print:
- No purchase necessary
- One valid entry per contestant
- Must be 21 years of age or older at time of entry to be eligible for this contest.
- This contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Employees of Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park and their immediate family are not eligible.
- Winners will be notified by phone and/or email.
- If a winner is unreachable after seven (7) days or if that winner is unavailable for prize fulfillment an alternate winner will be selected.
- Travel expenses to Glenwood Springs are not included.
- Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park reserves the right to substitute any prize with another prize of equal or greater value.
- Contest entrants agree to abide by the terms of the Official Rules and by the decisions of the contest commissioners which are final on all matters pertaining to the contest.
- Entrants further grant Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park the right to use and publish their proper name and state online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the contest.
- By completing this registration and pressing “submit”, entrants give Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, Hotel Colorado, Iron Mountain Hot Springs, Glenwood Vaudeville Revue, Glenwood Canyon Brewpub and Glenwood Adventure Company permission to contact the contestant via the email provided.
- Contestants authorize Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, Hotel Colorado, Iron Mountain Hot Springs, Glenwood Vaudeville Revue, Glenwood Canyon Brewpub and Glenwood Escape Room Inc. to send emails about their products using automated technology.
Mike Liebelt is a whiz at all things mechanical. As Lead Mechanic at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park he does whatever it takes to ensure thrill rides are open and ready for Park visitors.
While visitors to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park get an adrenaline rush from thrill rides like the Alpine Coaster, Giant Canyon Swing, Cliffhanger Roller Coaster, Canyon Flyer, Soaring Eagle Zip Ride and the Haunted Mine Drop, the Park’s Lead Mechanic Mike Liebelt gets his from making sure the rides perched on the pinnacle of a mountain in Glenwood Springs are all in top form and running like well-oiled machines.
Liebelt grew up living between Elitches and Lakeside, two Colorado amusement parks. The irony that he’s now employed at one isn’t lost on him. “I loved those parks when I was growing up. When I came here I quickly fell in love with Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park,” he said. “Working here is serendipitous and wonderful!”
Liebelt started as an attractions attendant in 2012, working at the Alpine Coaster. When the season ended he was hired on to spend the winter digging, clearing and expanding areas in the caves. Not only was he grateful for the job, he was all in for the laborious, difficult and exhausting work ahead. “For five months I smashed rocks. It was great,” he said, laughing at the memory. In 2014, he transferred to the maintenance department full time.
“Mike’s knowledge of rides is unmatched. He has been absolutely invaluable with his skills, experience, dedication and ‘can do’ attitude as well has his mentorship of new mechanics,” Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park General Manager, Nancy Heard said.
In the eight years since he began, Liebelt has been part of the installation of all thrill rides since the Alpine Coaster at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. In addition to Lead Mechanic, Liebelt is also Lead Ride Inspector certified through the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officers (NAARSO). For trainings he’s traveled to major theme parks including Hershey Park in Pennsylvania and Carowinds in North Carolina. The most recent training took place in-house with Utah-based Apollo Engineering and S&S Worldwide, the largest U.S. manufacturer of amusement park rides and roller coasters.
When it comes to his personal favorites—to work on and ride on—roller coasters are the hands-down winner for Mike Liebelt. He’s particularly excited for the new experience visitors will have on the Cliffhanger Roller Coaster beginning in the spring of 2020. “The Cliffhanger is being completely redone and will basically be a new ride when we’re through. It’s going to be all magnetic, with no moving parts. Guests will experience a smoother, quieter overall ride. My job right now is to make sure it’s open and ready to go by May 22,” he said. “I’m confident we’re going to make it.”
Mike Liebelt, Lead Mechanic at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
Another ride that’s getting an overhaul under Liebelt’s eagle-eye is the Alpine Coaster. The Park’s first and most popular ride is being upgraded with new computers and receiving all-new wiring for its entire length along the mountainside. For guests, it will mean more fun and shorter wait times.
As Lead Mechanic, Liebelt is also the go-to guy when a ride experiences a problem. Sometimes closures are scheduled. When a ride undergoes a mandatory inspection, it may be closed for as long as a day. In that case, the Park posts the closure in advance at the base, the mountain-top and on the Glenwood Caverns website under Ride and Attraction Status.
Other times mechanical issues arise. “We take a ride being down personally,” he said. “I happen to be very good at problem solving and can quickly diagnose and troubleshoot.” Liebelt is particularly proud of last summer’s nearly flawless operational record. “With safety as our number one priority, our goal is to keep every ride open and operating at all times.” When a ride does have to close down for a maintenance issue, Liebelt tells guests “not to worry, the average repair is completed within 30 minutes.”
What’s the best part of his work? “I love this job. On any given day I might be woodworking, painting, pouring concrete, fixing rides, doing maintenance or weekly inspections, but it’s the people that keep me here. I’ve never worked at a place that feels more like a family.” Liebelt is pretty sure guests feel the same vibe as well, “On a summer day, everywhere you go you see people—families and friends— smiling and having fun,” he said. That’s reason enough for Mike Liebelt to keep those rides running day in and day out.
Lead Mechanic at Glenwood Caverns, Mike Liebelt often works behind signs like these. Authorized Personnel Only image by StickerMule
When you’re skiing or snowboarding at the mountains of Aspen and Snowmass, Vail Resorts or Sunlight Mountain Resort, your Colorado ski vacation should be packed with peak experiences. Add even more high-elevation thrills with a day trip to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
Skiing and riding the back bowls of Vail, down the face of Aspen Mountain, or a thigh-burner run on Ute at Sunlight Mountain Resort is the stuff of powder dreams come true. These Rocky Mountain resorts are part of the quintessential Colorado outdoor winter experience. While the bulk of your ski vacation will be spent slope-side, set just one day aside to explore adventuring options further afield.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs is located within easy driving distance of both Aspen area mountains and Vail Resorts. The proximity makes planning this day trip bunny-slope simple. As the highest elevation theme park in North America, the Adventure Park is as much an essential Colorado experience as first tracks in Blue Sky Basin on a powder day.
Other upsides of visiting Glenwood Springs include a respite for ski-fatigued bodies and the opportunity to relax in riverside hot springs.
Getting to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
- From Vail, follow I-70 west for 60 miles. As you approach Glenwood Springs you’ll travel through Glenwood Canyon, one of the most stunning stretches of highway in the western U.S. At Glenwood Springs, take exit 116. Bear left through the round-about, turning right onto Highway 6 and left at Devereux Road.
- Aspen is a short 40 miles away from Glenwood Springs; travel north via Highway 82 to Glenwood Springs. Continue through town, over the Grand Avenue Bridge. At the round-about turn right on Highway 6, then left at Devereux Road.
- From Sunlight Mountain Resort, take Four Mile Road approximately 10 miles to Glenwood Springs and follow the same directions as if coming from Aspen.
The Height of Fun
Just like your experience on the slopes, your Caverns adventure begins with a gondola ride. The bright orange Glenwood Gondola cabins will whisk you up to the mountain-top park entrance. Along the way, take in spectacular views of snow covered Glenwood Springs and the Roaring Fork Valley below.
After you step off the gondola, explore all the Adventure Park has to offer. Winter Fun Passes are the best value and include your Gondola pass, as well as two cave tours and unlimited turns on rides and attractions. The Alpine Coaster lets you zoom down the mountainside at your own pace. Let out the throttle or take it easy; it’s up to you. As for the award-winning Haunted Mine Drop, it will leave you as breathless as the terrain at Aspen Highlands’ Steeplechase.
Cave tours are dazzling; chock-full of spectacular formations. Expert guides lead the way through the underground landscape imparting a custom blend of historical data, fun facts and engaging stories. Lighted displays show off the cave formations to their best advantage much like sculptural artwork in a high-end resort gallery.
Adventure Park visitors can also have fun at attractions like the laser tag arena, 4-D Theater and enjoy casual dining with a view in the Lookout Grille. Pick up some homemade fudge in the General Store to nibble on before heading back to ski towns.
While You’re In Glenwood Springs…
Plan to spend at least two to four hours enjoying Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. Since Aspen, Vail and Sunlight Mountain Resort are all nearby, you’ll have time to relax with other Glenwood Springs activities as well. Ideas include:
- Soak in the geothermal soaking pools at Iron Mountain Hot Springs
- Attend a hilarious Glenwood Vaudeville Revue show
- Stroll and shop at boutiques in downtown Glenwood Springs
- Visit the Doc Holliday Museum in the basement level of Bullocks or hike to his grave marker in Linwood Cemetery
- Grab a Glenwood Springs-made craft beer at Casey’s Brewing Taproom and Glenwood Canyon Brewpub
- Sip a premium coffee or a signature cocktail at the historic Hotel Colorado
- Indulge in a soothing massage or body treatment at one of Glenwood’s many spas
Take your Vail, Aspen or Sunlight ski vacation to all-new heights. Plan your visit Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park today!
Looking for a last minute holiday gift? There’s still time to treat your favorite people with a sweet gift from Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
Handmade fudge is perfect for every person on your gift giving list, from your closest friends and family to your neighbor down the street, new co-worker or holiday pet and plant sitter—pretty much anyone on your list who deserves a little something extra. You might be surprised to learn that Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, better known for its thrill rides and cave tours, is also home to a mountain-full of fudge!
The melt-in-your-mouth confection is a top-selling item at the Adventure Park’s General Store where it’s a main attraction year-round but especially so at the holidays. Each batch is made using only the highest quality ingredients. Technically, it only takes a few of them to make fudge: chocolate, butter, sugar, cream and vanilla, but making fudge is a notoriously persnickety process. Over cook it and it will become grainy, add too much of one ingredient or other and the consistency will be off.
Getting it right takes experience. Having made literally tons of the sweet stuff since 2015, Glenwood Caverns has perfected its fudge making process, expertly churning out one consistent batch after another. Our homemade fudge comes in an assortment of traditional and unusual flavors. Please note that while there is always a delicious array of fudge varieties from which to choose, not all of them may be available at any given time. The list below is a sampling of what you might find in store:
- Raspberry Chocolate Swirl
- Chocolate Walnut
- Peanut Butter Explosion
- Caramel Chocolate Peanut
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Cookies & Cream
- Maple Walnut
- Butter Pecan
- Coconut Delight
- Heath English Toffee
- Chewy Praline
- Seasonal Selections
During the last minute rush to complete your holiday shopping, there’s no need to panic or fret. Put a smile on their faces with the old-fashioned gift of hand crafted fudge—if you like, even take credit for making it, we won’t tell. For a beautiful gift presentation, no wrapping required, the store staff will package your purchase in a gift box.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park holiday hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. through Jan. 4; Sundays until 5 p.m.; closing early on Christmas Eve, Tuesday Dec. 24, at 5 p.m.; and closed on Christmas Day, Wednesday Dec. 25.