The Mudslide Festival at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, Sept. 3 – 5, takes a good-natured poke at Mother Nature who unleashed record-breaking flows of debris in Glenwood Canyon. With a nod to her power and a robust sense of humor, the Adventure Park celebrates Labor Day weekend with mudslide-inspired music, events and food.
If you thought making mud pies as a kid was fun, wait till you find out what Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park has planned for Labor Day weekend in Glenwood Springs. This year’s annual good-bye to summer celebration has been dubbed Mudslide Festival thanks to the massive mudslides that occurred in Glenwood Canyon throughout July and August. When life gives Glenwood Caverns mudslides, they host the party of the summer!
Getting to Glenwood Springs and Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is smooth sailing once again. After three weeks of slogging rock, debris and mud from the highway, the Colorado Department of Transportation has opened I-70 through Glenwood Canyon with minor slow-downs in just a few sections.
Taking it on the chin for several weeks, Glenwood Caverns is back on top in the latest bout with Mother Nature. America’s only mountaintop theme park has a muddy mix of live music, fun and games, as well as treats and drinks planned for Labor Day visitors.
The Dirt on the Mudslide Music
Bands will be playing each day of the holiday weekend, all with mudslide-inspired stage names courtesy of the creative types at the Adventure Park.
- Friday, Sept. 3, Flo Muddy and the Downhill Disaster, a.k.a. the Colorado Currys. From 2 to 5 p.m. they’ll be playing folk, swing, rock and bluegrass. The Currys know how to bring down the house and won’t disappoint.
- Saturday, Sept. 4, Byrne Scar & the Mud People, a.k.a. Whiskey Stomp. This fun-loving, no-holds-barred band will play from 5 to 8 p.m. with a lineup of ground-shaking, danceable tunes in the Plaza.
- Sunday, Sept. 5, Mudslide Slim and the Detours, a.k.a. The Goodman Band. This group is sure to rock the night away from 5 to 8 p.m. on the Main Stage in the Plaza.
No Mud Slinging, Just Fun & Games
In addition to the live music lineup, clever games keep the muddy theme going throughout the weekend.
- Dunk Tank Mud Bath is your chance to soak Glenwood’s business leaders. Come one, come all from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday to try your hand at this contest. A hair-trigger lever and mediocre aim should do the trick to send dignitaries like mayor, Jonathan Godes for a swim.
- Other fun and games include the “Muddy” Water Balloon Toss and Super Sand Bag Races, 1 to 3 p.m. as well. Arrive early to receive special mudslide stickers that we’ll be giving away while supplies last!
Goey and Oh So Good!
When it comes to muddy sweet treats, we count the power of chocolate to turn yikes into yum for kids and adults.
- Try our homemade Rocky Road Fudge and Chocolate Rocks, both available in the General Store.
- For an adults-only pick-me-up, we recommend our lip-smacking Mudslide drinks from the bar at the Lookout Grille and The Smokehouse.
- Because we couldn’t resist and we know you won’t be able to either, Mudslide Pies with chocolate cookie crumb crusts and lots of creamy filling are on the menu throughout the weekend festival.
Make plans today to join in all the muddy fun at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park’s Labor Day Mudslide Festival!