Theme parks like Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park tend to attract people who like the adrenaline rush of a scary ride. Not everyone is a thrill seeker, however. Here are 12 things to do if you’d rather not swing out over a 1,300-foot cliff.
- Ride the Gondola. Getting to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is part of the fun. The Glenwood Gondola will whisk you up and away to the mountaintop theme park, but don’t worry; the ride is smooth and quick with amazing views of Glenwood Springs.
- The Alpine Coaster. Before you say, no way, consider that this thrill ride allows you to control your speed. Let the throttle out all the way for maximum acceleration, or pull back for a speed you’re comfortable with. Either way, having the wind whip through your hair as your ride down the mountain is pure joy.
- The Mine Wheel. This ride is not just for kids. Whatever your age, climb aboard this old-fashioned Ferris-style family ride updated with a mining theme. You’ll go round slowly, and as you reach the pinnacle, you’ll catch sight of the beautiful park and mountain scenery.
- Laser Tag. Have fun ducking for cover and taking aim at friends and family. This lively game is a hoot. Be warned, however, kids are especially good it.
- Meander through the General Store for all sorts of fun gifts, snacks and souvenirs. From sacks of colored stones to slingshots, homemade fudge to home décor, and tee-shirts to toys, you’ll find lots of eye candy to enjoy or to take home.
- Check out the view. The Adventure Park has a couple of viewing decks. Climb the stairs at the Visitor’s Center for spectacular views of Glenwood Springs, the Colorado and Roaring Fork rivers and Mt. Sopris in the distance. Another viewing deck is located near the Giant Canyon Swing. Even if you don’t ride, you can watch others as they swing out over Glenwood Canyon which can be thrill enough.
- Cave tours. Two caves tours, the Historic Fairy Caves and King’s Row are not to be missed. Both offer different perspectives on the amazing underground world. See thriving cave formations that include stalactites and stalagmites, cave bacon, popcorn, soda straws and flowstone.
- Catch a show. Glenwood Caverns offers a lineup of live entertainment almost all year long, whether it’s Friday Afternoon Club and Two for Tuesdays during the summer, Music on the Mountain which goes into September, Octoberfest in the fall, Winter on the Mountain during the holiday season, or special artist engagements. To see who’s playing, check out our always updated events calendar.
- 4-D Theater. These 15-minute shows will put a smile on your face. The theater is equipped with moving seats, surround sound, and special effects that make you feel like you’re actually inside the movie!
- Grab a bite. Sit for a spell and savor something delicious. The Lookout Grille serves a variety of meals as well as adult beverages. For a grab-and-go pick-me-up, stop by the Snack Shack or Popcorn Wagon.
- Strike a pose. Smile for the camera—your or ours. Take fun snaps in the Giant Mountain Chair at the Visitors Center. You can also bring home souvenir photos taken on the Fairy Caves tour, Alpine Coaster and other rides or dress up in western style for a full-on photoshoot at Silk’s Saloon Old Tyme Photos.
- Pan for gemstones. Purchase a bag of dirt from the General Store and try your luck at finding an unexpected “gem” at our sluice channel. As you do so, imagine what it must have been like for prospectors who spent their days panning Colorado mountain streams in hopes of flushing out tiny flecks of precious metal.
Not a thrill seeker? Not a problem. Have all the fun without the faintness of heart. Learn more and plan a visit to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park today.