Our Winter Funday admission is just the ticket. Plan your Colorado vacation to make the most of all Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park has to offer.Continue reading
Have you been waiting for the height of fall to see the colors and enjoy the great outdoors? Fall hits a thrilling high point at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park where a picture-pretty location is also the setting for autumn activities and adventure.Continue reading
Stein holding is a Glenwood Caverns Octoberfest tradition that draws guys and gals who bring the brawn to this venerated brew hoisting competition. Up for the challenge? Check out our tips for training and more.
Octoberfest at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is fast approaching. The Bavarian-style festival takes place at the mountain-top theme park throughout October with ongoing family activities, German food, as well as fall-themed fun including a u-pick-it pumpkin patch.
On three Saturdays, October 1, 8 and 15, the event ramps up with traditional oompah music by the Alpine Echo band and contests for over-21s like axe throwing and keg bowling. However, the stein holding competition is the front-and-center crowd pleaser.
What is Stein Holding?
Relatively new to the U.S., stein holding is a “fest-sport” that originated in Munich, Germany, home to the biggest Oktoberfest celebration in the world. “Maßkrugstemmen” is the German word for a stein holding competition. A maß is a measurement that corresponds to about one liter of beer served in one of those giant dimpled German beer mugs made of heavyweight glass. The English term is a stein. When filled, those mugs weigh about five pounds. In competition, participants hold a full stein of beer at arm’s length. Whoever can hold their stein for as long as humanly possible without compromising posture or spilling their beer, wins. For women the typical stein holding time is one or two minutes; men last a little longer, between three and five minutes on average. The record for women is 5 minutes 34 seconds and for men 21 minutes 17 seconds!
How to Train
Stein holding requires strength and endurance. The best way to get better is to practice! If you don’t have a regulation beer stein, you can purchase one at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park during Octoberfest. Next, crack open your favorite beer and find a five-pound weight you can hold at arm’s length in front of you. Stein holding has some rules when it comes to posture. Your non-beer holding arm must remain straight down at your side, all five fingers should be wrapped around the mug handle and there’s no shifting or redistributing of body weight by bending backward or forward allowed.
According to the U.S. Steinholding Association, “your shoulder will likely want to give out first. You will also need to train yourself mentally to prepare for the pain you’ll feel. Concentrate on keeping your elbow locked and your head in the game.” Track your progress with a stopwatch. Finally, and most importantly, reward yourself for your dedication to training by enjoying that cold brew you have nearby.
The beauty of the stein holding contest is that everyone really is a winner. Even if you drop your arm early on, you still get to drink delicious Oktoberfest beer.
How to Enter
Make plans to visit Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park for Octoberfest on the first three Saturdays in October. Check back for more information about competition times and other fun activities. In the meantime, start training and purchase your Octoberfest park admission to attend online today.
Stay cozy and snug with warm winter drinks at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. From hot cocoa to sangria, there’s something tasty on the drink menu for adults and kids at the mountain-top theme park.Continue reading
Halloween is a family-friendly day at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. On Sunday, October 31, youngsters in costume can enjoy fun and games All Hallow’s Eve long!Continue reading
The autumn weather is perfect and so are the beer and brats at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. For three weekends in October, the mountaintop theme park celebrates the season with German-themed events, music and family-friendly activities.Continue reading
Glenwood Canyon has gotten a lot of attention in the news lately. Mudslides have caused a temporary closure of the interstate highway that travels to and through Glenwood Springs. As optimists though, we believe there is always a silver lining.Continue reading
Got cabin fever? Get going to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park for spring break thrills! The mountain-top theme park is open every day beginning Friday, March 12!Continue reading
Get ready to ride at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, our Unlimited Alpine Coaster ticket is a wintertime winner!Continue reading
Add some big thrills to your romance with a visit to Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. The mountain-top theme park in Glenwood Springs is the perfect place for heart-warming and heart-pounding fun.
Give your romantic relationship a love booster shot. A spur-of-the-moment, micro-getaway that includes Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park could be just the remedy for the mid-winter amour doldrums. The Adventure Park checks all the boxes for a romantic good time and a great date.
- Snuggle on the Glenwood Gondola. The orange gondola cars will whisk you and your partner high above the humdrum of the ordinary. Get cozy under blankets that are provided in each cabin as you travel from the valley floor to the park entrance at the top of Iron Mountain. Consider it the grown up version of seven minutes in heaven!
- Plumb the depths. Explore new territory together. Cave tours offer couples a glimpse of a rare and magnificent underground landscape. See spectacular stalactites, stalagmites, showy aragonite crystals and more. The caverns have also been the site of more than a few marriage proposals and wedding ceremonies!
- Feel the need for speed on the Alpine Coaster. Sometimes you’ve just got to go a little wild. Let the throttle out on the Alpine Coaster. You determine your speed as you soar down the mountain. The cool mountain air and fast pace are guaranteed to awaken the senses.
- Be silly in the 4-D Theater. Love isn’t rational. You don’t need to be ten years old to enjoy these 15 minute animated shows. Grab a seat at this family-friendly attraction, put on your glasses and enjoy the surround sound, bumps and breezes of 4-D technology. By the end, no matter your age, you’ll feel like kids again.
- Unwind with libations. For a more mature pastime, head to the Lookout Grille for an adult beverage and some sustenance. The bar serves a selection of decadent cocktails, beer in bottles and on tap. Wine and a Bloody Mary bar are other options. You can also satisfy your partner’s appetite at the Lookout Grille. The restaurant has an extensive menu of delicious casual dining menu choices.
- Take in the views. To paraphrase Antoine de St. Exupéry, it not all about looking at each other; it’s looking in the same direction that matters. On your visit to the Adventure Park be sure to walk up to the Viewing Deck above the General Store for landscape views of the Roaring Fork Valley and Glenwood Springs. This is also the perfect spot for a romantic couple’s photo.
- Attend an intimate concert. Add a little night music to the mix with Friday Afternoon Club FAC features talented local bands and food and drink specials every Friday through February from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The Park’s FAC also includes a free gondola ride after 4 p.m. with a coupon that appears in the Glenwood Springs Post Independent on Fridays. The small indoor venue is relaxed and laid back—perfect for a date night.
Love is a big, bold adventure. Add some thrills to your romance at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park!